Every great event is made possible by a hard-working team behind it. In the days before a pop culture convention (con), our Event Ops team is packing, planning, reviewing, and traveling on-site to ensure that our partner’s event runs smoothly. Being an event expert is important, but we believe teamwork is an integral part to event success too.
Our Event Ops team pooled their knowledge to provide you with the best event day tips for you and your event team.
Review plans. Review event day plans with your team several times before the event. You want every team member to know what to expect and do in both a regular or emergency situation. That way, there should be no big surprises!
Foster communication. Large scale events require large teams. Build a culture of open communication and supply a means to facilitate it. Radios and chat apps are great for quick messages, but nothing beats a good old fashioned team meeting. Whichever way you go, consistent communication keeps your team on the same page.
Remember your health. Working a con often means long, busy days that can take a toll on you physically. So eat well, drink water, and get as much sleep as you can, and make sure your team members are as well. Provide bottles of water and snacks at entry gates and other locations your staff will be stationed.
Pack smart. Convention workdays are long and chances are, you won’t have an opportunity to step out for a second if you forgot something. Be sure to double check your bags for the following:
- Comfortable shoes. Whether you’re working or attending, cons involve a lot of standing/walking.
- Camera. You’ll encounter cosplay costumes that look so real you’ll have to look twice! Make sure to have a camera/phone to capture it all. You can always use these photos on your event’s social media too.
- Portable Phone Charger or Battery Pack. The last thing you want to worry about during an event is the life of your phone battery. Portable chargers give you mobility and reassurance.
- Water Bottle. With so much going on, it’s easy to forget to take care of yourself. Carry a water bottle to remind yourself to keep hydrating as the day goes on.
- Internet Hotspot. Internet access becomes more difficult as a large crowd assembles. A backup data option for your device eases the woes of a slow connection, and could even save the day if the venue experiences network connectivity issues.
Have an awesome time. Once your event takes off, be proud of what you and your team accomplished. After all, conventions are fun and the people who made it possible should enjoy the event, too!